Saturday 26 January 2013

Working Out Characters: 02...

Here are the rough designs I've come up with today:
Photobucket
Natty, Captain Prim and Spruce.
I came up with these because I chose a few animals that I know I had a connection with when I was younger: a hamster, a guinea pig and a rabbit. I liked the idea of using animals that children have as pets so I thought I then started breaking them down into shapes. Here are their simplified forms:

Photobucket
 
I then used these shapes above to draw the characters.

I then broke down some various vacuum designs into shapes and silhouettes:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Trying but struggling a little, to get a form from the shapes.

Here are some various sketchbook drawings:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

There is more happening and I like certain shapes that are coming out of it, but I still haven't quite got that missing piece yet. I know I want cute and charming humanoid/animal characters, with a few edges/ridges influenced by German Expressionism. They need to be more unique than these though so onwards to more designs! :)



2 comments:

  1. Some very cute designs going on here :D Say, Molly, what was it that made you choose bunnies and guinea pigs as your characters? I am just thinking since your animals work during the night cleaning children's dreams, shouldn't they be represented by more obvious nocturnal animals like owls, bats or fireflies? Just a suggestion :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good thinking Andi! I'm still not entirely sure what they'll be yet. The world they live in is the dream world, so I haven't decided if it'll be night there like it is when the child is sleeping ye, but I'm going to keep this in mind for sure, it makes a lot of sense :P

      Delete